Survey says...outdoor fireplaces ranked #1!
The American Society of Landscape Architects conducted a survey recently that included asking landscape architects what residential outdoor living features they expect American homeowners will want in 2013. Not surprisingly, outdoor fireplaces and fire pits were rated the highest.
If you’ve ever enjoyed a campfire, you can relate. Really, who doesn't enjoy a crackling fire outdoors on a moonlit evening? Nobody. That’s why outdoor fireplaces and fire pits are so popular, and continue to gain momentum as one of the hottest trends in home improvement.
Castlewood Outdoor Wood Fireplace with Optional Gas Log Set
The ASLA’s 2013 Residential Landscape Architecture Trends survey asked landscape architects who specialize in residential design to rate the popularity of a variety of outdoor living trends. In the Outdoor Living Features category, 97 percent of respondents rated outdoor fireplaces and fire pits as the most desired outdoor feature for 2013. They were followed by grills and dining areas at 96.3 percent each, and outdoor lighting at 95.1 percent.
Here’s a snapshot of the top rated trends in each category of the survey:
- Outdoor Living Features: Outdoor fireplaces and fire pits rated the highest at 97 percent.
- Outdoor Recreation Amenities: Decorative water elements (ornamental pools, splash pools, waterfalls, etc.) rated the highest at 90.9 percent.
- Landscape Garden Elements: Low maintenance landscapes rated the highest at 93.9 percent.
- Sustainable Design Elements: Native/adapted drought-tolerant plants rated highest at 83 percent.
- Outdoor Structures: Terraces, patios and decks rated highest at 97.6 percent.
The growing popularity of outdoor living spaces has not gone unnoticed by fireplace manufacturers. There are many styles and fuel types from which to choose. Spring is right around the corner. See the options for yourself here.
For full survey results, visit the ASLA's website.