Stay safe when enjoying your fire.
Fire is hot – seems like a simple concept, right? But it’s not just the fire that’s hot – the materials around the fire get hot too, like the glass on the front of gas fireplaces, stoves and inserts, which can reach temperatures high enough to cause severe burns.
It’s especially important to be aware of this potential danger when you’re enjoying the warmth of your Heat & Glo this winter – so important, in fact, that the American National Standards Institute implemented new standards requiring safety barriers on all gas fireplaces and inserts as of January 1, 2015. Luckily, we’ve got you covered, since all of our gas fireplaces and inserts are already outfitted with factory-provided protective safety screens – and have been for more than a decade. These screens reduce the risk of serious burns by creating a barrier that prevents skins from coming into direct contact with the glass. (However, screens also retain some heat so we still warn against touching them as well.)
When enjoying a gas fireplace, stove or insert, keep the following safety precautions top of mind:
- Hearth products become hot during operation. Keep clothing, furniture, draperies and other flammable materials a safe distance away.
- Keep children and pets away from fireplaces, stoves and inserts. All parts of the appliances get extremely hot and any contact should be avoided.
- Fireplaces, stoves and inserts (and their surrounding materials, including the glass) will remain hot for a period of time after being turned off, so continue to use caution until completely cooled.
We’re not the only ones with fireplace safety on our minds – the Hearth, Patio and Barbecue Association and Good Morning America are spreading the word about the new ANSI standards and fireplace safety as well.
Gas hearth products are a wonderful asset to any home. Please remember to always enjoy fires safely!